TODAY IS THE DAY TO DO YOUR JOB FOR THOSE WHO DON?T HAVE ONE!!
It's Simple: Call Your US Senator or House Member today at 1-866-960-0611
1. Know the Facts: 800,000 unemployed workers will be out in the cold by 12/2 if emergency unemployment benefits are not renewed by Congress before they leave for Thanksgiving break.
2. Pick up the phone and call 1-866-960-0611.
3. Ask for your Senator* and tell them to renew the program before they go home to give thanks for the job, the salary and the benefits they and their families enjoy.
4. Call 1-866-960-0611 again and ask for your Representative* and tell them the same thing.
5. Get 2 or 3 of your friends to do the same thing!
6. If it is busy call again later in the day or the next morning.
Across America, jobs are in demand. It is taking job seekers upwards of 18 months to find work.
Congress is back, but only for a few days. Unbelievably it looks like some lawmakers are ready to go back home for Thanksgiving without extending emergency unemployment benefits, which will expire on November 30, 2010.
With 5 job-hunters for every 1 opening, the long term unemployed are in the job search of their lives. Unemployment insurance for many is their only lifeline.
So, today and for the rest of this week, we are joining together with other activists, coalitions and labor unions to flood Congress with our calls to extend emergency unemployment insurance before it expires on November 30th.
Since the unemployment program was created in response to the Great Depression, Congress has NEVER cut federally funded jobless benefits when unemployment was this high for this long.
If Congress does not renew benefits, over 800,000 job seekers will immediately lose their benefits and by the end of December 2ndwill be left out in the cold.
If you do one thing today, pick up your phone and make 2 phone calls to 1-866-960-0611 and ask for your Senator and then call back and ask for your Representative.
And tell them this...
Across America unemployment is at record levels. Emergency benefits for unemployed workers for more than 26 weeks will expire on November 30th. I urge Rep./Sen._______________ to renew this critical program before he/she leaves for Thanksgiving?.
Thank you for making a difference!
*If you need to know your US Senator or US Representative go to www.votesmart.org